Purchasing from Scruffles
Scruffles is a small rabbitry raising bunnies with love from day one. We love seeing people interested in our rabbits, and we love having them get nice homes. The rabbits are more than a hobby and "source of income" to us - they are like extensions of our family. That being said, here is our policy:
- Our rabbits are healthy and disease free when adopted out. If one has a health issue, we will make it clear BEFORE adoption so that you can consider what those issues could mean for the future.
- Only certain rabbits will be papered. Those that are will be listed as having papers. We breed multiple breeds and mixed breeds. Not all our purebreds have papers nor will they.
- All rabbits sold to pet homes are expected to be used as pets ONLY. If you are interested in showing or breeding with a rabbit, please let us know that first. For the most part, if a rabbit is labeled for a pet home, there is a reason and we do not want it bred or shown. Please respect this and our rabbitry. Any pet only purebreds will be sold without papers. Any papered purebreds that are not labeled as "pet only" but that are bought as pets will be sold with the option of not getting the papers, but the papers will be kept available for a certain amount of time after adoption.
- We use Blue Seal Bunny 16 rabbit food. Any bunny adopted from us will be given a starter bag of feed.
- We will hold bunnies for you, but we need to have a down payment on the rabbit to do so. The down payment is non-refundable and will vary based on the cost of the rabbit you are interested in. Rabbits that have multiple people interested in them may require a full payment to ensure that the rabbit will truly be being adopted.
- For every bunny being held longer than one week, we require a small housing fee to cover the cost of food and cage space. This applies after the bunny is at adoptable age. The holding fee will be based on the rabbit being adopted and it will be discussed before down payment is made.
- We have the right to deny the purchase of a rabbit. We have the right to terminate any sale for any reason. We will return the down payment of the rabbit of any sale we make that we decide to terminate except under certain conditions: if the rabbit has been held for a long time (with or without the payment of the holding fee) and the sale appears like it will not happen, or if we have tried to make contact with the buyer and there is no response or there is still no set date for pick up. If we hold the rabbit past three weeks and the holding fee is not paid, we may consider terminating the sale. For any sale that the buyer terminates, we decide whether or not the down payment is returned.
- If you adopt a bunny from us and cannot keep it for any reason, we will take it back. If you cannot keep the bunny and know someone wanting to take it in already, let us know. We want our rabbits to have the best homes possible.
- If you are going away for a short time and cannot find a place for your rabbit to stay or someone to care for it while you are gone, contact us. If we have space, we will house the bunny for an agreed upon time with an agreed upon fee. The fee will be decided upon based on several factors such as: length of time, health of bunny, space we have, feed it will need, number of bunnies being housed, and whether or not you supply the cage. Other factors may apply.
- Rabbits are living creatures. We do not ship them, so if you are interested getting in a rabbit from us, please be local or willing to travel. If you are interested in one and have traveling issues, we may be able to work something out so please contact us.
- We are sometimes willing to discount the price of our rabbits. Talk to us. We have multiple rabbit discounts. This is for pet buys only. Other discounts are available for breeders, so again - contact us. We consider trades under certain circumstance.
- We will ask questions before we allow a rabbit to be adopted from us. Our questions include but are not limited to: purpose of adoption, ages of any children, other pets at the household, what pets have you had before, how much time will be spent with the rabbit on average, how much space the rabbit will have to play in, and what do you know about rabbits. Anyone looking to get a rabbit as a first pet or anyone getting their first rabbit should read up about rabbits and ask us questions. Every animal is different, even in the same species and not every rabbit will be right for every home.
- Anyone interested in getting meat from us must be aware that we are not USDA approved and do not plan to be. We choose which rabbits are for meat purposes. The buyer has the option to choose which of the meat rabbits they would like under most circumstances. We slaughter on site and the price is $6.50 per lb dead weight. We leave in the liver, heart, and kidneys unless otherwise asked. We chose our method of slaughter with the best intention for the rabbits. They are slaughtered humanely and with care.